TAF’s new home hosts college seniors for college app night – Volunteers Needed!
TAF Academy students are gearing up for college, and part of that means following the Roadmap to College motto – “Done by Dec 1.” All TAF Academy seniors must click “submit” on at least two initial college applications by December 1st!
To help them, TAF’s hosting TAF Academy seniors and juniors for a College Application Night at the new Bethaday Community Learning Space on Monday, November 19th, 2012, from 3:30 – 7:30pm. This will be our first student-centered event at TAF’s new headquarters! To make the night successful, we need volunteers to help with the following:
1. Providing one on one essay feedback and help generating creative ideas for their essays — 5 – 10 volunteers
2. Photography/Video — 1 or 2 volunteers to take photos and video
3. Scholarship Search Help — 2 – 5 volunteers to circulate the room where students will be doing scholarship searches
4. Informational/Mock Interviews — 2 – 5 volunteers
3:15-3:45 – Students arrive, get snack, meet the volunteers
3:45-4:15 – Introductory session led by UW on the college admissions process
– Volunteers will gather for instructions, questions/answer
4:15 to 6:15 – Workshops/Work Sessions
– One on one meetings for seniors (UW Admissions office and volunteers will sit down with students for 30 minutes. Materials provided to facilitate.)
– Essay writing sessions, 4:15 – 5:10 and 5:15 – 6:10 (Led by TAF Academy teachers. Volunteers welcome to attend and assist.)
– Scholarship search session, 5:15 – 6:10 (Led by a TAF Academy teacher. Volunteers needed to assist.)
6:15-6:45 – Dinner
6:45- 7:15 – Students work on independent work with volunteer help. This can include completing the draft of their essay, college research, scholarship searches, etc.
7:25-7:30 – Wrap up. Students and volunteers reconvene, collect materials, celebrate any completed submissions.
If you can help, please RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org by Thursday 11/15. Thank you!!!